AIMS is an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of coordinate measurement machines (CMM). As an OEM, we are a complete solutions provider for your CMM needs. We build partnerships with customers through our ability to understand the demands of servicing machines that support production to maintain maximum runtime. And we do all of this while providing superior services and the latest technologies at the most competitive prices. Our service engineers have extensive knowledge of how CMM’s are built and work, ensuring your system’s needs will be in good hands. Our services include installation, relocation, service, support, retrofits, training, turnkey programming, and calibration.
The Importance of CMM Calibration
One of the most advanced, accurate dimensional measurement devices is the CMM. To maintain its refined measurement abilities, a CMM should be calibrated at a frequency of at least once a year. Calibration involves verifying and adjusting the CMM and related equipment to a certain standard. CMM calibration ensures the machine is meeting measurement standards with consistency and accuracy. In the calibration process, the CMM measures verified artifacts in certain orientations to prove that measurements are accurate.
A CMM probe performance test is primarily done to ensure the probe remains accurate and repeatable.. This test can provide feedback on the condition of the probing system to better understand if there are potential issues that typically don’t present themselves during normal use.
Like any measuring device, a CMM will have a certain amount of uncertainty with its measurements. Most modern CMMs have tolerances at the micron level. With frequent use, measurement readings can grow or shrink beyond that base accuracy. Regular preventative maintenance and recalibration ensures that the accuracy expectations remain consistent.
Featured Calibration Services
A good CMM calibration will include multiple inspections and scheduled maintenance. All of our calibration services include:
- Check machine level: Ensuring the machine is level is essential to having a solid starting point for measurements and adjustments.
- Clean and inspect X, Y, and Z bearing preload and ways: A CMM relies on the bearings and ways to be clean, floating freely, and have the correct preload to perform to its optimum performance.
- Clean and inspect X, Y, and Z scales: Cleaning the scales is often the first step in any calibration process. This enables a complete and accurate inspection.
- Inspect X, Y, and Z fine adjustment: The fine adjustment devices naturally endure a certain degree of wear over time. If that is the case, the mechanisms will need to be tightened to ensure reliable measurements in the future.
- Inspect linearity: Most CMM machines use a high-performance motor. These motors move the CMM frame in a linear motion, so the X, Y, and Z axes must be checked and adjusted as needed.
- Check power supplies: Having the correct voltage into the system is critical for the scales and motors to perform correctly.
- Check reader heads: Heads are adjusted as needed to ensure the best possible output.
- Check for repeatability in X, Y, and Z axes: An electronic touch probe is used to check each axis for repeatability.
- Test volumetric ball bar performance: ASME B89.4.1—which entails CMM calibration standards—establishes the recommended ball bar positions that this test will check for.
- Calibrate the CMM for accuracy conformance: Volumetric accuracy testing is performed to the ISO 10360 standard utilizing the 7 orientations of the certified length artifacts.
- Issue calibration certificate: At the end of the calibration, an official ISO/IEC 17025:2017 certificate is issued for the CMM. All readings are documented using a NIST traceability number.
Calibration Services From Advanced Industrial Measurement Systems (AIMS)
AIMS is a complete solutions provider for all CMM needs. It is our goal to build long-lasting relationships with our customers by supplying the best service and support in the industry. We hold an ISO/IEC 17025:2017 certification, proving that we meet international standards and technical competence in providing calibration services. For Sheffield machines, we also perform calibrations in accordance with ASME B89.4.1-1997, ISO 10012-1, and ANSI/NCSL Z540-1.
If you have any questions about our capabilities, feel free to contact us anytime. If you already have a project in mind, request a free quote.
You can find our Scope of Accreditation here: